Tuesday 23 June 2015

Welcome to my Blog

Hello All,

Welcome to my blog about my newest adventure!

As you hopefully know (having made it this far...) I have taken a career break from work and am heading off to Zimbabwe tomorrow to volunter as an ICS team leader with Progressio in Zimbabwe.

What does all that mean I hear you ask? Well ICS stands for International Citizen Service and it is a UK government-funded development programme that brings together 18 to 25-year-olds from all backgrounds to fight poverty in overseas and UK communities. As you might have spotted I am a little over the age of 25, but thankfully team leaders can be a bit older! You can find out more about ICS here - http://www.volunteerics.org/

Progressio is an international development charity supporting poor and marginalised people, especially women, to empower themselves. They believed in people powered development, and you can find out more about them here: http://www.progressio.org.uk/

I am going to be based in Mutare in Zimbabwe, the third largest city near the border with Mozambique. So far I know that the population of Mutare is 200,000 and there is a Nandos (but no McDonalds!) but I am sure I will learn lots more quickly!

As for what I am going to be doing, I have very little information so far. I know that I will be working on a new project with a new partner organisation, which is very exciting! I will update when I know more.


1 comment:

  1. Sarah
    This sounds like a great adventure and I am so happy you will be empowering marginalized people. I will stay tuned for more news.
    Gerri

    ReplyDelete